St Christopher’s was established in the 1940s as a mission church plant from St Andrew’s Ashton. During the war years the first worshippers met in a wooden hut on the site, next door to Quinney’s Cafe (now the Pig and Whistle).
In 1949 the original building was constructed, which is now the current hall section of the building.
Then in 1972 an extension was completed adding the church section and the rear community room to the original structure.
In this time the population in Lea has grown significantly, and over the years the building has been well used for church and community activities.
We now face a number of challenges to do with the condition and suitability of the building, which has led us to envision some bold and exciting future plans.